Glifaa consists of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, gender diverse and straight employees working in foreign affairs agencies of the U.S. Government — and their spouses, friends, family and supporters. These agencies include:
- Department of State
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Agriculture
- Peace Corps
- Other offices working in foreign affairs
One of our primary objectives is to achieve workplace equity for LGBT+ personnel and their families, whether based domestically in a foreign affairs agency or abroad at a U.S. diplomatic mission. We increase awareness of these concerns and advocate for affected employees. We also promote respect for LGBT human rights globally, through both direct action of our members and cooperation with like-minded organizations.
Since our inception in 1992, glifaa has grown from fewer than a dozen concerned personnel to hundreds of members and affiliates. Members in Washington meet monthly to discuss current issues and glifaa business. We host outreach and professional events throughout the year. Members overseas often organize participation in local Pride Celebrations, support Embassy diversity events and other projects, and contribute welcome advice for glifaa’s agenda.
How Can You Join?
There are three levels of membership available:
- Full membership is available to all current employees and retirees of the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Agency for International Development, and other foreign affairs agencies and their spouses/partners. Full members enjoy voting privileges, invitations to all events, access to our Member’s Only Database, and other benefits. Dues are $40.00 per year per member.
- Affiliate membership is available to all others who believe in the mission and activities of glifaa and wish to support its goals and enjoy membership benefits, including the glifaa Facebook page and newsletter. A donation of $15.00 per year per affiliate member is requested.
- We also welcome anyone to sign up for our free newsletter. Simply click the Join Now button at the bottom, create your account on MemberPlanet, and select Mailing List as your membership type.
For instructions on how to join, or to send comments/ideas, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or just click the Join Now button below to pay dues:
By clicking Join Now, you will be taken to another website called MemberPlanet. MemberPlanet is glifaa’s membership management system which we use to maintain our membership rolls, collect dues, and send emails to our membership.
Current members, please ensure glifaa has your correct e-mail address and location! Send updates to email@example.com or log in to your MemberPlanet account and update your information.
Now that you’ve joined glifaa, don’t forget to like us on Facebook!