Who are we?
GLIFAA consists of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight employees working in foreign affairs agencies of the U.S. Government — and their spouses, friends, and supporters. These agencies include:
- Department of State
- Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Agriculture
- Peace Corps
- Other offices working in foreign affairs
One of our primary objectives is to achieve workplace equity for LGBT personnel and their families, whether based domestically in a foreign affairs agency or abroad at a U.S. diplomatic mission. We increase awareness of these concerns and advocate for affected employees. We also promote respect for LGBT human rights globally, through both direct action of our members and cooperation with like-minded organizations.
Since our inception in 1992, GLIFAA has grown from fewer than a dozen concerned personnel to hundreds of members and affiliates. Members in Washington meet monthly to discuss current issues and GLIFAA business. We host outreach and professional events throughout the year. Members overseas often organize participation in local Pride Celebrations, support Embassy diversity events and other projects, and contribute welcome advice for GLIFAA’s agenda.
How Can You Join?
There are two types of GLIFAA membership available:
- Full membership is available to all current employees and retirees of the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Agency for International Development, and other foreign affairs agencies and their spouses/partners. Full members enjoy voting privileges, invitations to all events, access to our Member’s Only Database, and other benefits. Dues are $40.00 per year per member.
- Affiliate membership is available to all others who believe in the mission and activities of GLIFAA and wish to support its goals and enjoy membership benefits, including the GLIFAA Facebook page and newsletter. A donation of $15.00 per year per affiliate member is requested.